Thursday, October 30, 2014

Kali's costume for The Gathering of Rebels.

I wanted to take pics of this as I worked on it, but I was so rushed with everything I really didn't have time. I used a Simplicity pattern which I redrafted to make the pieces a bit more historically accurate, though I didn't go overboard with this. It is not something I intend on keeping, or figure I will even get much money back on so I didn't complicate things too much.



I used a white/gray print cotton I have had in my stash for YEARS and then a gray eyelet I found and Goodwill for $3.00 for 5 yards (not period correct I know, but looks nice and was cheap). I used the cotton for the jacket, and then the eyelet for the skirt and trim.

Except for the outer sleeve ruffle shown here, I used the eyelet. I decided for sake of time and my sanity--and because I have always wanted to try it--to pink all the edges instead of hemming it. It looks okay. I know the fraying is natural, even with the pinking, and you see real examples of 18th Century gowns with the same thing happening, but I am not sure I am crazy about it. Sort of makes it feel 'unfinished' to me so I don't think it is something I will do again unless I want that as a specific design element.


I did not want to have to mess with a corset for her so I boned the front of the bodice with the ever handy weed-trimmer line. Worked great! I added a small modesty panel at the front and the hand-cast eyelets (not my best work on these I can tell you) are hidden by the ruffles. Only thing I can say is I wish it would have been a bit tighter so she had that 'lift'. When I first fit it I was afraid it would end up being too tight, but I think she lost some weight before she actually was able to wear it. I was going to take it in but decided it was just too much work for something she was only going to wear the one time.

I forgot to charge my camera, which is actually an old cellphone that I use, so I did not get pictures on the day. A few people at the event took them so I am waiting for them to get posted up to Facebook. There should be quite a few full length pics from that. What I have right now is the one of them sitting down, and then the one Kali's dad took right before they were going to change. After 6 hours they were a bit of a mess as you can tell (I have NO IDEA what the heck is going on with the front of the kilt there lol). I hope to get more photos up soon.






No comments:

Post a Comment