Friday, September 21, 2012

Indian Crewel--Cross-post from Livejournal



My mother was doing her usual auctioning for material goodies and came across this FABULOUS PIECE! It is a wonderful Indian  Crewel worked cotton and is so much more lovely up close than in the picture. I absolutely love it and decided I am going to make myself something from it :) Problem is I cannot decide what. It is a little over a yard but issue is that they cut a big chunk out of it. With the shape and the width I could do one of these without too much problem :

#1: Forepart to a skirt and stomacher piece for an Elizabethan gown. I am only 5' tall so I can squeeze out the part for the skirt and then there would be just enough for the center bodice.

#2:  Partlet a' la Shakespeare In Love. I really loved the heavily embroidered partlet she wears with her riding costume as she goes to church to pray for Will when she thinks he died. It shows it quite well when they are sitting together down by the river after she learns it was not him who was killed. This would leave me fabric for something else too but i don't know what. My only worry is that the pattern on it is just too large. I could possibly squeeze this out of scraps using the smaller prints after I made something else as well depends on what is left over.

#3: Elizabethan Jacket from Janet Arnold's patterns of fashion. I have looked at this over the years but always thought it was sort of frumpy. It is the one described as "being tied with silk ribbons", but having been watching the Tudors alot lately (I am in one of those moods) I notice this is the jacket, pink silk ribbons and all, we see fleetingly in the opening sequence. It is a brief shot with the wearer untying it to take it off (yeah, its showtime) and it actually is rather sexy. Perhaps this is just because she is taking it off lol but I rather like it :) I THINK I could squeeze this out as I can arrange the pieces around the large hole in the middle and I am very intriqued by this.

Let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment